And the Captain was up for a Scrap

There was no chance it could have got worse than the last game against AWS. Rammer had a family emergency to look at not long before kick-off and that meant the Gaffer would not be joining the rest of the group for the game today. Any good planning from the boss was then clearly compromised and Kenny became kit boy, admin, keeper and everything else. He called in help from Dave Stead (thanks Dave) to help with running things on the day. The first challenge was getting into the changing rooms, which Swanny described as one of those Escape Room Puzzles. Three grown men trying to figure out how things worked and where to get things open. It was laughable. We managed it though in the end and the teams were changed.

A few player changes for this game saw Tom Gilroy return following an injury and the skilful forward was needing some match fitness. And new boy Ross McGuigan came into midfield after signing in January and combative Needham deciding he was injured. There were also changes with the starting 11. Davo was back from a lengthy lay off, Steady was also in, Kenny was in goal with the Walkers all unavailable. And Swanny was back to give the forward line some guile and support.

The make-shift Gaffer reminded everyone that matching effort against Colburn today will see us more likely win the game, particularly if we can match our technical ability with that effort and determination.
While we didn’t play particularly well in big spells of the game we were competing and putting the effort in. Even Eddie who usually doesn’t tackle was putting it about. So much so he saw an early booking for his trouble too.
Colburn took an early lead from a freekick that was crossed in, their midfielder looped a headed into the corner. Other than a couple of coming out to get the ball and a save from Kenny in the first half, our backline was solid. Davo was commanding throughout and Steady was reading the game well. Kyle was his usual composed self and the captain at left back was also keeping the ball out. He did at one stage encourage Brandon Bishop to give him a smack and it felt to many that Brandon would have been to oblige too. Sean must have ten feet tall standing up to some bigger boys. I cant help but think that had Brandon gone for it though, the captain’s todger would have realised some wee down his leg, shrivelled up inside itself and had Sean on the floor in the foetal position. Credit to the captain though he stood up for it.
We ended the half the better side without really creating a great lot and we had much to happy about. It was our passing which perhaps let us down, in the main in the final third.

In the second half, we scored early on following a great through ball from Ross to Gilroy who was clean through and finished, almost naturally with his wrong foot, sliding it past the oncoming keeper. The ref had the game stopping and starting and we couldn’t really get down to playing. If we are honest, Colburn deserved to get something out of the game as they kept pushing for a second and our backline was resolute. but was the home team in fact that took the advantage. A great exchange with Nathan and Gilroy had Nathan through down the left channel. He hit a great left footed shot across the keeper and into the corner to send us 2-1 up with 20 minutes to go. Colburn could have become shellshocked but stayed firm. Not long after this a hopeful punt forward had their midfield grappling with Steady for the ball. It fell kindly to the midfielder who hit a half volley in the bottom corner which Kenny could do nothing about. We 10 minutes to go and 2-2 against an inform side, challenging for the league we might have seen it out. Another cross into the box though and this time the ref judged that Tyler fouled their striker in the box. There were lots of arguing again, but Bishop made no mistake ramming the ball home for 3-2.
There was a couple of late chances for the home side though, when Gilroy dragged a free kick wide of the post and a flashed ball across the goal and Danny I think it was couldn’t get on the end of it. There was a couple of sinbins, one for both teams and ours, meant Davo who had done well all game, didnt finish the game after going off around 84 mins for giving the ref sh*t.

The game finished 3-2 and was a much better performance in terms of effort and determination than we have had for a while. We match that up with the ability everyone has and we win more than we lose lads.

My favourite thing of the day must go to a particular dick of the day vote. Matty, who let’s be fair didn’t have one of his best games, had a vote for DOTD with the comment “unhook that caravan you’re towing before the next game”. Loved that whoever it was.

Remember, as I said this is a team sport. We win and lose together. We help each other, we talk, we communicate, and we can laugh at each other which is easily the most important. If you want to think of your personal accolades though, footy probably aint for you, so take up Badminton.

Reeth next week. I hope we all turn up as a team!